Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Ninja Vampire Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving break has never had such meaning as this year! We are taking a break from school and all the driving and the relentless early-morning seminary schedule. It was a beautiful thing to sleep in this morning, especially since Rich has a cold, I have a cold, Anna has a cold, Jeffrey has the flu, and Josh and Adam sound congested. Here are two Thanksgiving break items of note:

1) Yesterday, Katie, Jacob and I went with some friends to see Twilight, the famous vampire movie based on the well-known vampire books. Now, it is of note that Jacob came along as he will not get anywhere near a "vampire love story." However, the movie trailers looked pretty exciting and he didn't have anything else going, so he came along to see what this vampire thing was all about. I went somewhat reluctantly. I am not much of a movie-goer, and there is almost never a movie that is as good as the book. However, I have to give my movie review: I liked it! I liked it for a lot of reasons that I won't list here, but one reason I liked it was because of its comparison to the movie previews beforehand (which I did not like.) There was a preview for a rude movie about dancing teenagers. There was another one about two selfish women who are best friends but fight over their wedding venues. And the grand gem of all, there is a gutter-level comedy about two football players who attend cheerleader camp, apparently full of all the sleazy jokes and innuendos one would expect from this kind of set-up. As I watched the previews, I was disgusted by the idea that this is the typical movie fare for teenagers. Then, Twilight began. It's not perfect, but it is a romantic movie with a chivalrous hero who loves a girl for who she is and not for her body! Can you believe such a thing?! There is almost no swearing, no sex, and my 14 year old boy was not impressed by the violence. So hats off to Stepenie Meyer and Summit Entertainment for creating some worthwhile entertainment for teenagers!

2) We asked some of you to send us your list of things for which you are thankful. Last night, we held a family night to list some of the things we are thankful for. In the past we have put these ideas on leaves for a "thankful tree" or on feathers for a "thankful turkey." We decided on a turkey, so Katie and Beth cut out the feathers while Jacob drew the turkey. Here is what he came up with: Thankful Mutant Ninja Turkey. You might not be able to see the head and arm bands and the weapons at his waist. Here are some of the things we are thankful for: the commandments, food, water, parents, the prophet, the Gospel, freedom, Anna Banana, friends, scriptures, Daniel to sleep with at night (Jeffrey), the earth, our bodies, my sweetheart (Mom), books, and music. In fact, 2008 is an unusually thankful year in our home. I am especially grateful that Rich has been home with us almost all year. What a treat!!! I spoke with another mom recently who told me that they are struggling to keep their home because her husband, who works in the financial industry, is not making much money anymore. She has gone back to work full-time. I feel deeply grateful that we have been able to manage without difficulty during this time. I feel so grateful for a living prophet and for a wise husband who has willingly followed his counsel. I feel grateful for commandments that make our lives happy rather than restricted. I feel grateful to know that a loving, Heavenly Father is watching over and caring for us. It's been a good year.

2 comments:

Liz said...

We are thankful for your family! Sorry I haven't gotten back on the email. I've not been very on top of email this week. We are also thankful that you are doing well! We are thankful for the gospel and prophets and for eternal friends and for eternal families!

Jeri Pettingill said...

I never would have imagined a Thankful Mutant Ninja Turkey but now that I see him, I love it! I agree it has been a wonderful year. It is amazing what the Lord can make out of our circumstances. We remain thankful for your family and your good example.