On Monday night, we asked the children what they thought we should set as family goals for 2009. Here is what they suggested, on their own:
1. Have another baby (Beth says a girl)
2. Dad get a job
3. Stop fighting so much
4. Get to church earlier on Sunday so we get a soft bench instead of hard chairs
I would like to comment on each of these goals just a bit.
1. Have another baby I am not making any announcements (or promises to the family) here. It just warmed my heart that they would be willing to go through another "mom is sick and all she does is lay around and we do a lot more work" time in order to have another baby. I told them I am enjoying my second month of feeling good and having some energy since weaning Anna and am not ready to give that up. So Jacob said it would be okay if we wait until the beginning of 2010 to have another baby since we don't have any January or February birthdays anyway. Beth said she only wants another baby if it's a girl because boys annoy her.
2. Dad get a job I don't care about the job so much as getting some insurance. Then we can stop paying cash for things such as the $60 it cost to have the doctor re-check the baby's ear infection.
3. Stop fighting so much They set the goal to stop fighting and promptly began a fight. This is like setting a goal to eat less sugar and then pulling out the box of See's Candy!!
4. Get to church earlier Our ward is very crowded. Lately, we arrive for church right on time or a couple of minutes early. Since you can't squeeze 10 people in just anywhere, we end up on the very back row of the breeze-way on the hard chairs. If we could just shave 5 or 10 minutes off our leaving time, we could get there early enough to find a better spot. The big kids each agreed to find a specific little child's shoes on Saturday night, something that will certainly save us at least that much time. I like a goal that we can actually accomplish! So if anyone is reading this, will you please email me on Saturday sometime to remind me to remind the big kids to put out the shoes they were assigned? Then I think it will be a go!